Wednesday 23 March 2016

Get to know Preethi Venugopala: Bestseller author at Amazon.com

#AuthorInterview

1. Hi Preethi, please tell us something about yourself.
Hello, Kritika. Thank you for inviting me to your blog. It is a pleasure to be here.
I am a Civil Engineer by education who stumbled onto writing by accident during a sabbatical from my day job. I’ve been writing ever since then. 
I’ve been part of four anthologies till now.  My debut Novel ‘Without You,’ released in June 2015, is receiving rave reviews till date. The eBook has become an Amazon Bestseller in its category.  I have two other eBooks on Kindle, a short story anthology, and a children’s book.

2. You are a blogger and an author, how do you manage both along with your home?
I am a lazy blogger. Most of my blog posts consist of free writing. I don’t promote my posts nor do I go blog hopping, which is mandatory when you are a blogger. My blog is my place to vent and my workbook where I scribble random pieces of fiction or poetry. Interviews with established and newbie authors are something else that I do on my blog. I do that earnestly as I learn a lot from those interviews and get inspired.

As an author, I work with passion. I dedicate myself to learning the craft as well as writing. If I am not writing, I will be learning about writing techniques or reading books by authors I love. I make sure I read or write every day.

3. What do you like more – being a blogger or an author?
I definitely like being an author more. Blogging is my hobby. I can create a blog post with a picture or even a piece of art.  But writing stories is my passion and requires time and energy. To write a 60,000 plus words novel is dedicated work. I enjoy accomplishing that goal.

4. You have 3 books under your name. Which one is your favourite?
I like all three of my books. But, my debut novel ‘Without You’ is a little closer to my heart. Hours
and hours of writing went into it. I almost lived the life of my characters during its creation.

5. What kind of books do you read? Any favourite authors/books?
I used to be a casual reader. I read anything and everything. It just had to be a book. Nowadays I am a bit choosy. I like more of literary reads, romances and self-help. No thrillers or murder mysteries for me.
My favourite authors keep changing. My current favourites are Anita Nair, Chitra Divakaruni, and JoJo Moyes.

6. What is your inspiration for writing your stories?
I have a belief that each story comes to a writer when the time is ripe. Sometimes a particular incident can trigger a story idea. Sometimes an experience narrated by a friend might haunt me. The story idea for ‘Without You’ came from a dream. So inspiration to me is always random and unpredictable in origin.

7. What are the key challenges that you face while you write? 
Time and energy. Being a mother to a seven-year-old is demanding in its own way. I love being a mom and indulge all his idiosyncrasies. Hence, I don’t get enough time to dedicate towards writing. When I get time, I might not have any energy left in me to type or even scribble in a notebook. All I wish then would be to crash onto a bed and sleep. Sigh!

8. Are there any words of wisdom that you would like to share with new authors?
I will share a quote that has always inspired me.

“We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.”
—Ernest Hemingway

9. Any other projects you are working on? If yes, what are they?
I am part of a ‘Humour anthology’ being edited by Shinie Antony, one of the pillars behind the Bangalore Literature Festival, a gifted writer, and editor. I have completed the second draft of my second novel. Further editing is being done.

10. Lastly, if you have to describe your book in few lines, how will you do it?
‘Without You’ is the tale of a young girl who falls into a whirlpool of love and betrayal. It talks about her struggles with depression and how life throws a second chance at her, making her life bloom again.


Get to know Preethi on:

Blog:  TulipsAndMe 




You can also order her books on:




Love and Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find the post? Boring? Interesting?
Please just dont think it, share as well...