Thursday 26 July 2018

Meet Rahul Rawal - A Story Teller

#AuthorInterviews

  • Hi Rahul, please tell us something about yourself.


I am quite weird, very outgoing sometimes and sometimes just love my own shell. A daydreamer who loves to tell stories provided someone is willing to listen. I am a true Capricorn.. haha

Professionally I am an operations guy working with a fortune 500 company headquartered in the U.S.

  • You have recently published a book, please tell us something about it.


Blue Crayons is my first book and I am very happy and excited about it like parents do with their first child. I make use of every opportunity to let people know about this book. It is a collection of short stories from different genres and themes like relationships, unemployment, social issues, paranormal etc. It is a blend of all the ingredients, I think in the right quantity.

  • What inspired you to write your recent book?


This is not one of those books an author intents and plans to write. I have been writing these short stories for quite long but never thought of publishing a book out of those. It is only after reaching the 50 plus stories and reading a few good collections of short stories from the like of Ruskin Bond and Rabindranath Tagore, the idea of publishing a book seeded.

  • The title is very intriguing, any story behind it?


If life is a box of crayons, she is my blue crayons and Blue being my favorite color as well. Where everything around us runs on practicality I wanted to keep my promise of a ‘forever’ to her. Hence, I named this book Blue Crayons because books never die (wink)

  • What kind of books do you read? Any favorite authors/books?


Well mostly fiction because stories and the writers’ imagination fascinates me. I love the stories which leave a room for its readers' imagination and that’s what I try in my stories as well.

I love reading Paulo Coelho, Ruskin Bond, and Mitch Albom.

Favorite books: The Kite Runner, Tuesdays with Morrie, Time Keeper and collection of short stories from Ruskin Bond.

  • What were the key challenges that you face while you write?


The first and the foremost challenge is having the right mood and the right atmosphere around for writing but finding both at the same time is really tough. I am a free will writer, you give me a topic and I will not be able to write. Give me freedom and I shall surprise you.

  • Which phase of book you hate most? Writing, Editing, Marketing, or something else?


Writing is the most beautiful part because while writing you’re in a different world playing hide and seek with the characters in your book. It’s the relaxing phase.

Editing is a little boring as you have to read your own stuff like Nth times.

Marketing is rest 70%, it’s stressful and taxing however definitely a necessity for a first-time author whom no one knows... Haha

  • Are there any words of wisdom that you would like to share with other authors?


This is my first book and I don’t think I can give technical advice to other authors however, I firmly believe that a writer should write something he/she themselves are proud of. Even if only 100 people read your book in a lifetime but it should leave an impact on those 100.

  • Any other projects you are working on? Yes, what are they?


No, currently I’m not working on my next. I am just in a thinking mode right now. I will start the next project only when I’m truly convinced myself with an idea.

  • Lastly, if you have to describe your book in few lines, how will you do it?


I think Blue Crayons is a unique proposition in itself. It has a lot of variety for it readers.

These 40 stories touch each of our lives directly or indirectly, as a reader you will end up relating yourself with a lot of these characters. Also, there are two things I get cognizant of while writing. First, the stories should leave an impact on its readers and every story does have a message to deliver. Second, trust your readers’ intelligence and leave a little room for their imagination to play.

I am hopeful that this short stories collection will strike many chords.

Hope you enjoyed reading about Rahul and his books. Do grab a copy of his latest book from Amazon today.

Lots of Love


No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find the post? Boring? Interesting?
Please just dont think it, share as well...