Thursday 7 January 2016

The Shannara Chronicles: An undecidable show...

#TVReviews   #Shannara

I am a big fan of Teen Wolf, an MTV show and 'The Shannara Chronicles' was on constant promo loop with its new season premier - hence yes, I had to watch it :)

To start with, the show is based on "The Sword of Shannara Trilogy" by Terry Brooks. 

It was a 2 hour premier and honestly I don't know if I am intrigued by it. The story line is good and fast-paced but it doesn't present with any wow theme.The setting of the show looks post-apocalyptic but no where in show has anything being mentioned. I guess it is just left to guess like what happened or how various races are ruling the Earth and etc.
The key races in show are - Elves (the most powerful ones), Druids (the magical ones), Trolls (the ugly ones), Demons (the not-so scary ones) and Humans (no comments there). What strikes me most about the show is it's resemblance to Lord of the Rings movies. Well, LOTR is one of its kind movie but the show looks like a loose adaptation in terms of background, theme, characters etc.  

Talking about characters, the show has some popular cast which allows it a default fan base
(like Manu Bennett from Arrow, Hobbit etc., John Rhys-Davies aka Gimli in LOTR). The other characters are decent too and in terms of acting they all do a fine job. No where you feel they are not upto mark.

There are certain things which I found pretty disappointing in the show, to start with the main demon. It looked like a low rank, poor Orc. After watching so many shows it didn't do any magic on screen. Secondly, the jokes about elves-ears. If they were intended as a joke, they honestly didn't come across that way. And lastly, the fact men-will-be-men when it comes to a woman came across so easily (although it is a big fact but still)

The cinematography of the show is good and the scenic beauty it offers is amazing. Although on
certain instances I was reminded of movies like Avatar. Some scenes had striking resemblance. The effects in the show are good too

Overall, I can say it is light fantasy drama with no heavy stuff. If you wish to watch it I would recommend keep the critic side of your brain away and you should enjoy the show.

I would rate it 2.5/5. 

If I decide to watch further and it improves, I will definitely  update my post :)

Till then
Take Care



No comments:

Post a Comment

How did you find the post? Boring? Interesting?
Please just dont think it, share as well...